[rescue] Re: recycling

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 21 09:22:04 CDT 2004

> From: "Ethan O'Toole" <ethan at 757tech.net>
> Date: 2004/09/21 Tue AM 04:47:18 GMT
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )
>
> > It's a fun hack to be able to get one up on the energy suppliers, but
> > not really a practical long-term solution to our energy problems.
>
> Yea, it's kind of like curbside recycling? It creates more pollution to
> recycle the plastic bottles and newspapers than dumping the stuff in a
> landfill?

The main benefit of curb side recycling is that the waste *doesn't end up in a landfill* - no one claimed it was about saving energy.

I am not an eco-wacko by any stretch (but then again, they might say the same thing! ;^), but I actually bring home my recycle cans/bottles from work, since they don't recycle in my building. (in my area, residential recycling is free, corporate recycling is private, and costs businesses $$)

I just took two tubs of bottles and cans to the curb, and about two cans worth of cardboard/paper/junk mail, and it makes me feel good that they are NOT going to slowly turn into compost in a man-made hillside somewhere in Pennsylvania...