[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon Sep 20 13:17:12 CDT 2004

> Carleton College just finished off their wind turbine about a mile out of
> Northfield in the cornfields of southeast Minnesota. It's impressive; I
> run
> or bike by it a couple of times a week. It's probably 10 stories tall to
> tip of the blade when it's at the top. It's also mesmerizing to watch...
> St. Olaf (my school, across town) is going to build one as well. I'm sure
> Carleton getting one had nothing to do with it. <grin>
> Surprisingly, southern Minnesota is apparently highly ranked for wind
> potential in the 48 contiguous states.
> http://webapps.acs.carleton.edu/news/?content=content&module=&id=63797
> Steve

There was talk of them building a ton of them on the eastern shore of
Virginia. Evidentially they sort of, you know, chop up alot of birds. So
all the enviromentalists were going nuts. The Perdue and Tyson
slaughterhouses aren't too far away so maybe they can build them up the
road.

The power output of the large ones is pretty impressive. A megawatt or
two. Not bad as long as the wind is blowing.

I heard somewhere that 7 square miles of solar panels in Nevada would
power the US? (During daylight)... Is this true?

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460