[rescue] Tape drive answers?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Sep 15 07:41:15 CDT 2004

    Carl>    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

    >> I *STILL* wanna know why upgrading the firmware caused the drive
    >> to suddenly develop a pathological overheating problem.

    Carl> Perhaps the drive has always run a little bit on the toasty
    Carl> side and the new firmware lowered the temperature threshold at
    Carl> which the thing starts griping about it.

Perhaps the new firmware is pushing the hardware a bit harder to
implement some improvement.  Spinning a motor faster, or with a higher
duty-cycle.  Perhaps running some internal frequency generator at a
higher rate.  Or even just using the internal memory differently and
like Carl says stressing an already close condition.

Back in my developer days I had personal experience with a change in
software pointing out pre-existing hardware issues :(

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator