[rescue] O2 Questions...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 15:13:55 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I've got an O2 (R10K, 175 MHz, 256 Meg RAM, one disk & audio module), and I either want to enhance it or sell it...

I'm wondering - is the O2 camera a worthwhile item? I guess it plugs into the O2 and provides a "web cam" with minimal configuration/effort, correct? Is it reasonable for "novelty" uses (i.e. "warehouse cam")?

Upgrading the RAM, I've got 8x 32 Meg DIMMs, and to upgrade looks expensive, any pointers on upping the RAM? 128 Meg DIMMs go for around $55/ea on ebay (BIN price) - what should i expect to pay for a 4x 128 Meg DIMM upgrade? (is it $220?)

My R10K O2 has one HD slot, while the R5K O2 (heading off to Todd, maybe) has two drive slots - what is supposed to go in the other "space" on the R10K MB?

Finally, in comparison as a desktop machine - is the O2 inferior to the (noisy) Octane with similar CPU? My recollection is that the O2 is just different than the Octane, and should not be construed as a specific "upgrade" to it - is this correct?

I do like the HD15 video and the PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports (they work well with my IOGEAR KVM with PCs attached), but if the Octanes are simply better machines, I think I'll offer this box up for sale...

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, any insight appreciated!

Thanks,

Lionel