[rescue] rescue projects VAX-4000/500, DEC PDP-8e, DEC PDP-11/44, etc...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 9 03:36:51 CDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
Isaac <isaac at pobox.com> wrote:

> NetBSD will work, but on the serial console only.
No. With 1.6 you need to use the TCWSCONS kernel, with 2.0 or -current
it should work with wscons (framebuffer console) just fine. If you have
a PMAGB-B (IIRC build into -500 models) you will get X11 too. I am sure
here as I run X11 on a -600 with PMAGB-B.

> Linux won't run on TURBOchannel Alphas at all.
True.

> The DEC 3000 is a fine machine, and I recommend trying to pick up
> Digital UNIX to tease out its full potential.
And DEC UNIX is a quite nice, very BSDish Unix.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen