[rescue] Re: Sun Tuner on Ebay

Chris Powell Chris.Powell at zarlink.com
Tue Oct 26 02:39:50 CDT 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
> > Date: 2004/10/25 Mon PM 08:08:19 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: [rescue] Sun Tuner on Ebay
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1247&item=5133140857&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> Neat item, but I'm at a loss - it is a computer controlled tuner that requires a composite video in to actually display the channel you choose via solaris software.
>
> I assume this would be coupled with a framebuffer that supported RCA/composite input?

Yes, exactly right. Serial controlled tuner - software would select
frequency/channel number. Software sourcecode was available as part of the
package from Sun.

Really needs a Sun Video/Video+ capture card to grab the composite output
of the tuner card, audio grabbed through line-in of the SPARCstation.

Neat box.

I could never get the video and audio to stay in sync. Would start OK, but
after a few minutes would drift off so video several seconds out of sync
with audio. Never got to the bottom of this; tried the Video+ capture
software and more advanced like the Sun video conferencing software
(name escapes me, WhiteBoard?).