[rescue] boot / config issue between Ultra 2 and E4K

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 25 09:07:08 CDT 2004

> From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> Date: 2004/10/25 Mon AM 04:33:42 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] boot / config issue between Ultra 2 and E4K
>
> I built an OS install the way I wanted on an Ultra 2, but am having
> issues getting it working when I install the disk in an E4K (SBus IO
> boards, no PCI).

As I would have expected...

> Short of installing from scratch (which I am loathe to do), is there
> some way I can get this working?

Not that I know...

> On the U2, the disk was c0t0d0 (s0 had root partition).
>
> I am able to boot partway but get an error message about zs max , then
> the keyboard stops working and I am unable to Stop-A .  Hooking up a
> serial console gets me nothing either.
>
> Am I just screwed, or do you have suggestions to fix?  Should a boot
> disk -r fix it?

I think the Ex000 and U2 are too different to boot from the same disk image.

> Aside: is there a way to have a "universal" boot disk for Sun machines
> so that all the drivers are there?  I tried booting the U2 built disk
> on an U60, no dice due to missing glm driver.

I have heard that a system disk built on an Ultra 2 can be used to start up an Ultra 1 (after a 'boot -r'), but I don't know about any other options...

Obviously, a "universal" image is possible, since the install media accomplishes that, but I think the "magic" bits that detect and load the appropriate drivers are not included in system install images.

Just had a thought - what about doing an upgrade install? That might get you where you want to go - that would (in theory) load the new drivers for the new platform...

Best of luck!