[rescue] Anyone have a spare Sun 9.0G disk?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Oct 20 16:14:33 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 04:11:07AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> One of mine, a FUJITSU MAB3091S, is failing.  It works fine as long as I
> don't pull any data off it, but as soon as I start hitting it hard, it
> goes offline.
>
> The data on the two stripes that share it is all backed up, but I don't
> have a spare disk of the same geometry (4924 cyl, 133 sec, 27 hd
> logical).  A Seagate ST39175LC, Seagate ST39102LC, or ST39103LC (among
> others) share that geometry.

Some days you can't win for losing.

Five minutes after going to bed lasat night, I realized I could get
minbar's (U30) 711 array back up by borrowing a disk from babylon4
(E3000), which I'm not running at the moment.  So I move stuff around to
wheel babylon4 out to where I can get at it, pop out a 9G Cheetah, pop
it into the 711, boot minbar, perform the necessary metadevice frobbage
and newfsing etc, start restoring data ......   and an hour later the
replacement disk craps out with a sense error and warns me failure is
imminent.

*sigh*

Lather, rinse, repeat .......  it's now restoring for the second time,
with a second disk pulled out of babylon4.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net