[rescue] More Ultra2 woes...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 10:10:27 CDT 2004

> From: "Gutschner, Marc" <marc.gutschner at itandfactory.com>
> Date: 2004/10/16 Sat PM 04:21:59 GMT
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] More Ultra2 woes...
>
> Hi!
>
> Since my problems with the 501-2480 RAM sticks was resolved earlier this
week, I've taken delivery of the second 300MHz CPU for my Ultra2 today. But to
my dismay, I've got another "no go" :-/

> If I plug the CPU into the 2nd processor slot, the machine wont even
complete selftest. The keyboard LEDs "blip" when switching the machine on and
it beeps. But then... nothing! Is there a possibilty that I have one of the
"bad" motherboard revisions that don't work with two "different" 300MHz CPUs?
I have one 501-4849 module and one 501-4196. As far as I could decipher the
stickers on the system board, it's a 501-3132-17 Rev. 50.

> While browsing around on Sunsolve I just came across a note wrt this board,
that "FFB2+ is not compatible with 300MHz Module 501-4196". My machine has an
Creator3D aka (AFAIK) "FFB2+"...

> Would this machine possibly run when I replace the "FFB2+" with some "dumb"
SBUS frame buffer? I would rather have 2 CPUs in this machine than a colorful
desktop ;-)

In my exp., if the System Handbook says something, believe it - if something
is not stated, try and figure out why (CPUs released after system no longer
offered, as an example), and if the story makes sense, try it.

As for the framebuffer, I'd try a different Creator - if youcna;t find one,
contact me off-list, I have a few that don't work in my systems, maybe you;ll
have better luck.

As for the CPUs, is the OBP up to the latest rev? This is the kind if thing
that the OBP may influence/control...

It is a shame you are having so much trouble with such a nice box - it will be
worth it when you are done, though...

Best of luck,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net