[rescue] BOOTING SOLARIS 10 on a ULTRA 2/200

Brian Howe bwhowe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 08:51:42 CDT 2004

I would like to know as well... I've tested 10 on machines in my lab
at work and it rocks. I'd like to have it at home too, however since
I've only got an Ultra 1, there's really no way that's happening any
time soon.

> My Ultra 2 has 2x200 MHz UltraSPARC I processors; UltraSPARC I processors
> are unsupported on Solaris 10, apparently due to the default of booting in
> 32-bit mode, while Solaris 10 is 64-bit only. However, even though my
> Ultra 2 is set to boot in 64-bit mode, the Solaris 10 installer will not
> allow me to proceed, citing the UltraSPARC I processors. Supposedly, there
> is some way to "trick" the installer into allowing installation despite
> the unsupported processors. After trying Solaris 10 on an x86 machine, I'd
> *really* like to get it running on my Ultra 2, but that may mean swapping
> the 200 MHz processors for faster ones - anyone have any spare 250+ MHz
> processors?
While were at it, anyone got a spare Ultra2 or 5 taking up space that
they want to donate? :)

--
Brian Howe