[rescue] e4k / 250/1mb cache vs 250/4mb cache

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Oct 14 13:47:30 CDT 2004

" From: Mike F <lists at ibrew.net>
"
" On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 07:43:52PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
" >
" > I was under the impression that until the Ultra-III-based systems came
" > out, mixing speeds was officially unsupported, and even if it does happen
" > to work, the system simply finds the least common denominator - clocks
" > down the faster CPUs to match the slowest ones, and ignores any larger
" > caches than the smallest.
" >
" > I'm almost positive that was true of, say, the sun4d and sun4m boxes; put
" > an SM51 and an SM61 in a Sparc 20 and it'll run them both at 50Mhz.  Put
" > some SM81's in an SC2000 with some SM81-2's, and it'll just ignore the 2nd
" > meg of cache on the larger modules.
" [snip]
"
" For no other reason than the fact that I'm cheap, I'm running a
" SPARCStation 20 with an SM71 and an SM51. prtdiag doesn't work on SUN4M
" systems, but here's what `psrinfo -v` reports:
"
" Status of virtual processor 0 as of: 10/12/2004 10:32:41
"   on-line since 06/05/2004 02:10:43.
"   The sparc processor operates at 75 MHz,
"         and has a sparc floating point processor.
" Status of virtual processor 2 as of: 10/12/2004 10:32:41
"   on-line since 06/05/2004 02:10:47.
"   The sparc processor operates at 50 MHz,
"         and has a sparc floating point processor.
"
" These modules both have 1MB of cache, so I can't say what would happen
" with differing caches, but it does seem to maintain differing processor
" speeds.

yeah, but iirc it still schedules them as if they were both 50s.