[rescue] Re: Thoughts on mailing list advertising

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Oct 12 00:27:13 CDT 2004

Meelis Roos wrote:
> Just another thought: would the advertising increase the spam score of
> the list messages considerably? It probably would some but rescue posts
> are usually quite well disitinguished from spam so this may not be a
> problem. It probably also depends on the spam filter.

Since I run spamassian as part of my .promailrc file, I significantly
reduced the overhead of checking for SPAM, by having procmail bypass
known mailing lists. Since this is about 80-90% of my daily mail, it
was a big help.

This way I get no false positives and 2 or 3 false negatives a day, a
rate I can live with.

At least in my case, more than half of the email here comes from yahoo groups.
bypassing SPAM processing for them really cut things down.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838