[rescue] DEC VAXstation 3100

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 5 13:12:20 CDT 2004

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 @ 17:41 +0200, Jochen Kunz said:

> > The SCSI board goes to the drives and to an external centronics SCSI
> > port.  The same board also goes to a pair of large 3-row DB
> > connectors.
> This seems to be an old VAXstation 3100 m[34][08]. There where different
> IO boards available for this series of machines. Most likely this
> connectors are a ST412 aka MFM disk interface. Is there a HDC9224 MFM
> controller chip on the IO board? It may be a serial multiport option
> also. "show dev" and "show conf" at the ">>>" boot-prompt may give some
> hints.

Hmmm... the I/O board seems to mostly just 74xxx discrete logic, but I'd
have to look again to be sure.

The machine has a manufacture date in 1991, and right now I don't have a
terminal at work to boot it up with.

I gotta find one of those DEC offset RJ-45 connectors for the serial
I/O.  I have one at home, but it's needed right now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if