[rescue] Anyone interested in this Sun Sparc systems?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 22:26:37 CDT 2004

> From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf at siconic.com>
> Date: 2004/10/03 Sun PM 09:45:53 GMT
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] Anyone interested in this Sun Sparc systems?
>
> This message is being "cross-posted" from the Classic Computers mailing
> list (http://www.classiccmp.org).

OK...

> Since I am not subscribed to sunhelp, please contact me directly at
> <sellam at vintage.org> if there is any interest.
>
> Thanks!

> I've got a couple Aries Research Marix SS tower boxes that I'm getting
> real close to scrapping out for lack of any reason to keep them.  These
> are Sparc servers basically.  One's got 512MB RAM.  The other has some
> unknown amount across 16 30-pin SIMMs (perhaps 4MB to 16MB each?)
>
> See photos here:
>
> http://www.siconic.com/computers/Aries/

I dunno about the "black" one - it looks like an odd bird, with what appears to be an MBUS CPU and a very generously laid out MB, and with the 16 30 pin SIMMs, I'm guessing that it is not a SUN OEM MB...

The "White" unit looks like an SS/10 or SS/20 MB in a much bigger case, the RAM might be useful in some more recent low-end UltraSPARCs (U1, U2, U30, U60 and others) based on the speed of the RAM. The CPU looks like a classic MBUS CPU, and could most likely be used in an SS/10 or SS/20 (for example).

The white unit looks "standard" and would probably run a fairly recent Solaris Operating Environment (like Solaris 8?) reasonably well...

That said, I have no use for either box, but would be interested in the RAM/CPU from the white unit if you have no other takers...

Lionel