[rescue] RS/6k and booting AIX

Tom Ponsford tponsford at theriver.com
Sun Nov 28 17:26:29 CST 2004

Ok, I rescued a couple of RS/6k's from the auction last month: a couple of
40p's, , a 43p and a 7011. I also got a box with 3.2.5 media (cdroms). The
cdroms say bootable. none of the machine had HDD, but after scrounging up a
couple of suitable scsi's. the machine checks out OK with the SMS floppy.

The problem is the 40p's (7020) won't boot the diskettes OR the cdrom. Going
into the firmware monitor and trying to acess the  floppy I get an error
saying there are no FAT tables on the floppy. Acessing the cdrom though, I can
list all the files. The floppy and the cdrom looks like they do an abreviated
read on the boot media and just stop. No messages and definatly not reading
the media. I'll try and see if they boot a netbsd-prep floppy or a debian
floppy tommorrow. The floppy drive seems OK becuase it reads the SMS diskette
just fine, and the cdrom appears to work OK as I can read the disk files from
the firmware monitor

I think the floppy's, which I made myself from files downloaded, may not be
created correctly, but that does not explain why the cd media does not boot. I
think it;s more of a pilot error than a machine problem. but I've not used any
AIX in several years and never had to install to bare metal.

Any tips would be appreciated?

Cheers

Tom
--
---
Please do not read this sig. If you have read this far, please unread back to