[rescue] Switch Recommendations

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Sun Nov 28 15:01:51 CST 2004

The performance difference with Jumbo frames really depends on your
network.

If all your machine do jumbo frames, and you have them all on GigE,
sure you will see an improvement, but in our case where we have 6 file
servers on GigE (that can do JF) serving 200 clients on 100Mb, it made
no difference. The Switch was fragmenting the packets down to 1500 for
the clients, so it was actually slower (IIRC) than non Jumbo frames.
This was all with an Extreme Networks Black Diamond 6808 switch (est.
retail $120k).

shawn