[rescue] New(old) scanner

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Wed Nov 24 14:10:43 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:30:25PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I've just been given a UMAX narrow-SCSI flatbed scanner as part of some
> hardware trading.
>
> I don't have an external narrow-SCSI port on babylon5, nor a SCSI
> wide-to-narrow adapter, nor an extra PCI narrow-SCSI controller.  I do,
> however, have a Sparcstation LX with narrow SCSI, running OpenBSD.
>
> Does anyone know a way I could connect the scanner to the LX and share
> it to other *nix machines over the network?

I'm using SANE to a share an Agfa SCSI scanner that's connected to an HP
712/60 workstation running HP-UX. Once the server is set up, clients
only need the SANE network backend to be able to scan from any frontend,
like scanimage, xsane, or a GIMP plug-in. I've been able to do this fine
from Solaris, Mac OS X, and Windows machines.

There's a HOWTO here:
http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/

And according to this, most UMAX SCSI scanners ought to work:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-UMAX