[geeks] Re: [rescue] An interesting problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Nov 17 23:18:50 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:11:00PM -0600, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:10:53 -0500
> Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
>
> >The good news: I can upgrade to Summit Platinum DX, which will let me
> >unmap or remap anything I want, fully support the hardware OpenGL on my
> >Matrox G450, and support the G450's dual-head capability, for $45.
> >(Which is a 50% discount.)
>
> I've always wondered about those for-pay X servers. Why do you use yours? Would you recommend it to others?

I use AccelX because my experience with XFree has been that its Matrox
support -- particularly its accelerated Matrox support -- has
historically sucked ass.  Because Xi Graphics doesn't distribute source,
they can get the full specs from Matrox that let them work the hardware
much harder.

This is undoubtedly less of an issue on chipsets for which full specs
are available without an NDA, or which have been thoroughly
reverse-engineered.  Byt my experience is XFree's Matrox support just
isn't really all the way there.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net