[rescue] Nextstep / OpenStep for SPARC (OS, not libraries)?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Nov 14 12:17:08 CST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 02:10:57AM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> OpenStep ran on top of Solaris 2.5 I believe, you can get the files from
> here:
>
> http://ftp.nice.ch/Attic/openStep/implementation/solaris/OpenStep.1.0/

So far it is running OK (sort of) on my Ultra 5 on Solaris 9 .  I did
need to add "-dpi 72" to the /usr/dt/config/Xservers line to stop it
complaining.

Thanks!  Will play with it some more ...

> NeXTStep 3.3 for Sparc comes with the HP-PA CD (i.e. the RISC CD) so if
> you get a full NS3.3, the one that supports 68k, x86, and HP-PA... then it
> should also support the SPARC. In case that the seller does not mention
> that.

I may have a line on NS3.3 for Sparc, so will be happily looking
forward to that as well.  If the Mail.app in NS3.2 had support for
MIME, then I would be happy with the NS3.2 for Intel that I have
already.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Web hosting        |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $49.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $79.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $225/month        |