[rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 11 16:36:35 CST 2004

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 @ 05:01 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> > Date: 2004/11/04 Thu PM 09:12:54 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1

> > Um... how can ISO 9000 cause this?
> >
> > ISO 9000--besides being a bureacrats wet dream--is supposed to be about
> > control and audit of your processes, and I can't understand how it would
> > require you to offer support.
>
> Just taking a stab at it, but I bet the issue is that their
> SOP/procedures state that they support everything they sell, so, if
> they sell it, they have to support it... And if they have another
> policy that says they will offer current SOE (Solaris Operating
> Environment) for all supported platforms, then they are up against the
> wall (Solaris 9 on an SS/5-clone laptop?)...

OK, but that sounds like a decision the company made, not something
imposed by ISO9000.

Or does ISO force you to say things like that?

I understand them saying that in their SOP, but I do not understand
to-the-letter rigid enforcement.  It's not possible to make a statement
that will apply to all situations.

Does ISO 9000 preclude using your brain?

> I bet they'll bury them in a landfill covered in concrete and take the
> write-off, just like Apple and their Lisas...

True, it has definitely been done before, but it's still just as
stupid... :(

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his