[rescue] Re: scrap sparcbook

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Nov 11 09:16:26 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 07:28:37AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Mike Parson wrote:
>> Odd thing, when I connect to another box on my net from the Sparcbook
>> over the wireless, it shows my connection as coming from the AP's IP,
>> not the SB's.  I don't know how normal that is, this is my first real
>> playing with wifi stuff.
>
> Is it an AP or a router? For example, if you are using a combination router/ap
> unit, make sure to plug the ethernet into the LAN side and not the WAN
> (internet) side.
>
> It's a little more complicated than that.
>
> 1. Assign a fixed IP to the router LAN side.
> 2. Turn off any DHCP server on the router.
> 3. Plug the network into the LAN side.

Done all that, I have one DHCP server, it runs on my primary Linux box,
I'm getting annoyed with every new network appliance I buy having a
built in DHCP server.

My network is basically:

Toshiba Cable modem - WRT54G - linux box
                             - windows box
                             - lingo VOIP box
			     - downlink to 8 port switch with other
			       boxes on it.

Lan side of the WRT54G has the fixed IP of .1, the linux box hands out
DHCP, both for guest access and a few hard-coded entries for my laptop,
TiVo, and net-booting old Sparcs.

The WRT54G is set thusly:

Wireless stuff
--------------
Wireless Mode: AP (Client|Adhoc)
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (B Only|G Only|Afterburner)
SSID: yeah, not posting that here... ;)
SSID Broadcast: Enable (If I turn off the SSID Broadcast, the WGA11B
                        won't connect.)

MAC filtering on.

Most of the other stuff regarding wireless is left default.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org