[rescue] Re: scrap sparcbook

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Nov 11 03:52:59 CST 2004

Geoffrey S. Mendelson says ...

> In most places, Wifi with the default ssid and no WEP is
> common enough that
> any hacker is just going to move on when they find a WEP
> protected network.
> Why spend 5 or 10 minutes hacking, when you can move a few
> yards and get one for no effort.

Absolutely true.

Last week, on my way from the ferry to the doctor's office (about 5 miles) I
counted 74 open WiFi networks.  "Open" being non-WEP APs that were
announcing their SSIDs.  I didn't try to get on any of them, so they may
have had MAC filtering enabled, but the number of them with default SSIDs
would indicate that most were completely open.

And this was with a normal WiFi card in my laptop, with the computer sitting
on the seat of the car.  I know from experience that using my 200 mW card
and a real antenna gets many, many more.

-Shel