[rescue] RE: The IRIX dhcp server

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Nov 8 10:59:41 CST 2004

 Jochen Kunz wrote ...

> > > I also encountered interoperability issues with
> > > HP9000/700 firmware.

And, to get this on record ... _I_ encountered what ought to be considered a
serious bug in IRIX's Proclaim Server.  If it cannot parse the
/etc/config/dhcp_bootp.options file, it will fill your disk with logged
error messages.  It keeps starting, spitting out a dozen or so error
messages, and dying.  About 3 times per second on my machine.  Commanding
"chkconfig proclaim_server off" slows the flow, but doesn't stop it.  You
have to edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out the bootp line.

Not what I'd call "top quality."

However, I did get it working, sort of.  It hands out addresses, but the
documented procedure for assigning specific IP addresses to specific MAC
addresses doesn't seem to work.   I can't find any official SGI doco on
this, beyond the dhcpdb man page, and googling has turned up nothing,
either....

-Shel