[rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 23:01:52 CST 2004

> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Date: 2004/11/04 Thu PM 09:12:54 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1
>
> Wed, 03 Nov 2004 @ 09:17 -0700, Dan Duncan said:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Jones, Andrew I wrote:
> > > Also, talking to a Tadpole sales guy, they said they just had rooms
> > > and rooms full of traded-in 32-bit SparcBooks, but they didn't dare
> > > sell them on ebay because ISO 9000 certification or something
> > > requires them to offer support on all their products. :(
>
> Um... how can ISO 9000 cause this?
>
> ISO 9000--besides being a bureacrats wet dream--is supposed to be about
> control and audit of your processes, and I can't understand how it would
> require you to offer support.

Just taking a stab at it, but I bet the issue is that their SOP/procedures state that they support everything they sell, so, if they sell it, they have to support it... And if they have another policy that says they will offer current SOE (Solaris Operating Environment) for all supported platforms, then they are up against the wall (Solaris 9 on an SS/5-clone laptop?)...

I bet they'll bury them in a landfill covered in concrete and take the write-off, just like Apple and their Lisas...