[rescue] sparcstation IPC and sparcstation 1+

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Nov 5 16:45:17 CST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 11:47:23AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:

> I'll give you this one.  DNS/NTP/DHCP/BOOTP are all services that these
> boxes could run well.  I run none of those at home so I never think about
> it.

I currently run DNS at home, and I keep meaning to get back to running
DHCP/BOOTP again.

And I really want to run NTP at home, but I keep having trouble with
it.

> One step up to an SS2 and I'm still using that to this date.  I intend to
> trade it out for a U1 only because I want to arbitrate several network
> legs and I tend to overdesign my network structure at times.  The U1
> really _is_ too much hardware for the job on a standard 5 static DSL
> (1.6/128 *grumble* SBC) but I want to not have to worry about it.  Besides
> as cheap as U1s are it pays to retire older hardware for new.  (I know

I'm not sure it pays to retire older hardware for new is really acurate,
unless the old hardware really isn't doing the job well enough.

> "Who are you and what have you done with the real Mike?" - I'm just
> finally coming to terms with the fact that my existing older hardware is
> getting on in years and needs to be changed to expand my services at home.
>  I'm still not putting PC hardware in place of it though!)  Since I'm not
> currently doing my own DNS I'll most likely retire the SS2 to BIND duty
> after replacing the NVRAM before it fails.

I certainly don't fault you for wanting a faster machine as router
though.

> Yeah, if you want to support dial-in anything below a U1 is pretty pointless.

Pretty much.  Unless you happen to already have an HSI card, and are OK
with running modern Solaris on old hardware, or running older Solaris.
Personally, I'd be tempted to just go for it with Solaris 8 on an SS5,
10, or 20 if I had that card, but I don't.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/