[rescue] Battery rebuilds [ was: scrap sparcbook]

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:04:59 CST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:38:27 -0600, Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> I think he's seen those sites, talks about doing it from time to time,
> he's just not actually tried to find the needed cells yet.  I think he's
> waiting for me to re-cell the battery for my sparcbook first, to see how
> well that goes first.

Well, in the Duo batteries, it's just stock solder-tabbed NMiH cells
(!higher capacity than the originals :-) and a little IC that you need
to desolder and reuse.  Not much to it all all, really.  I mean, my
soldering skills are primitive at best, and I took it on.  The real
pain is cracking the danged thing open in such a way as to be able to
glue/tape it back together.

Anyone have any pointers for putting ABS plastic stuff back together,
types of glues to use, that kind of thing?  I still have a stack of
batteries to rebuild at some point--there's a lot of interest on the
Mac swap lists for resale of rebuilts.

=Nadine=