[rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Nov 4 09:22:36 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:49:41AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 09:50:50PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Michael Horton wrote:
> >
> > >iso 900x is the ticket required to play in europe.
> > >without it, you can't sell in the european community.
> >
> > I thought that was CE.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, CE is their equivelent of UL.

Well, sort of.

A UL rating basically just says "If this thing croaks on the first time
you attempt to use it, it won't do so in a way likely to kill you."  And
honestly, that's about it.  It conveys no certification of fitness for
purpose.  A CE (European) or TUV (specifically German) rating is
somewhat more demanding, as there is a consideration of quality of
manufacture and fitness for purpose built into the testing.  A CE or TUV
rating certifies not only that when the thing fails, it can be expected
to fail safely, but that it can be expected to fulfil the purpose it was
sold to fulfil for some reasonable time before failing (unless abused,
of course).  They are more general product-quality certifications with
product safety as a factor, not just a safe-failure certification like
UL.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net