[rescue] Re: W: solaris for sparcbook 1

Jones, Andrew I aijones2 at bsu.edu
Tue Nov 2 21:59:41 CST 2004

>NetBSD for Sparc was supposed to be able to run Solaris
>and SUNOS binaries. Check:
>
>http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/compat.html
>
>Dunno if they support the SparcBook 1 though... although
>they seem to support a large number of exoteric machines
>put out there in the past 20 years or so.

IIRC, the SparcBook 1 and SparcBook 2 series have really freaky boot PROM's
that require special install media.  I had always thought that SunOS 4 was the
only thing that ran on them.  Even Solaris 2.x is news to me.

Also, talking to a Tadpole sales guy, they said they just had rooms and rooms
full of traded-in 32-bit SparcBooks, but they didn't dare sell them on ebay
because ISO 9000 certification or something requires them to offer support on
all their products. :(