[rescue] For Free: Challenge XL chassis (Southeastern Va)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 2 09:38:48 CST 2004

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote ...
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:32:16PM -0500, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> >
> > Have a 2nd one in mint condition with 2gb of RAM I'm
> > selling for $550, pics are here:
> >
> > http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/2-ebay/selling/xl2/
> >
> > 6 R10k 195mhz 2mb cache procs, lots of IO, fast ethernet, etc.
>
> What do you think typical power requirements are for a beastie like
> that?

I think the US-market XLs want 220, though the amperage would vary with the
real load.

I've heard that they can be hacked to run on 110, though I don't know how.
I think they use 2 of the same 110 VAC power supplies used in the L, which
would lend credence to the hackery theory.

Just as a datapoint, my L has a 20-amp line cord.  It will run on a 15-amp
household outlet, where it's not the only thing on the circuit.  I tried it
with 6 R10k/195-2 processors (2 boards), 2 GB RAM (2 boards), one SCSI
board, one fast-ethernet board, 3 recent SCSI disks, a DLT, and a CD-ROM.
That load is too much for my largest UPS, though, so in day-to-day use, I
run with 4 processors (1 board).

If your house has adequate electrical service, and the XL would be
not-too-far from the panel, it would be very easy to run 220 for it.

-Shel