[rescue] Q: ANyone have exp. with small print servers?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 31 08:56:15 CST 2004

Hello all,

I am thinking I want to get a small USB print server to deploy a small laser
printer in my kitchen, so that I can print from my wireless laptop. I have a 4
port switch in my kitchen (doesn't everyone?), so I am thinking about a wired
solution.

My initial thougths are:

 - I'd like the unit to have a "generic" telnet config option

 - I'd like USB support, but parallel port is fine too

 - Support Solaris/Linux/Win/Mac clients - I have "big" HP
   laserjets with internal print servers, but I want something
   with a smaller footprint

I am thinking something like one of these (sub-$50 devices at CompUSA):
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?Ntt=print+server&N=8&Ne=500000&N
tk=All

or this loks nice too (4 port switch & print server):

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310146&pfp=cat3

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Lionel