[rescue] FrameMaker FYI (MS crap)

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:25:23 CST 2004

>   The...DARK SIDE?  Wow.  Does this moron have any clue at all what
>kind of company Microsoft is, or how truly bad their products really
>are?  Does he not understand the fact that the rest of the computer
>world made it past daily reboots twenty years ago?

he's getting his nose rubbed into it daily.  i'm pretty sure he hates me
and i'm on his list for "against the wall" when the revolution is not being
televised.

not being a distro-bigot of any stripe, i've made cd's of redhat, fedora,
debian, mandrake, suse, trinoo, gnoppix (can't stand that one myself, too
many things in weird places - weird being defined as somewhere i'm not used
to), and i don't know what all else.

i think my favourite though is the PPC install onto an older G3 mac that is
currently running Apache, in an office across campus.  it's now the
university museum's primary web server, www.museum.siu.edu and it had a
history of being hacked every couple of weeks.  this did ensure they had
good backups after about the second or third one, but got annoying when it
had to be rebuilt all of the time.  they were using some oddball web
server, and it was a nightmare.

now, with the same hardware, uptime - sans hacks, but with lots of attempts
- of 17 days and counting.  that's when they put it in service, and i
expect another couple hundred days out of it unless some grad student trips
on the power cords again.

--
Wes Will

LINUX _is_ user friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are.

--------- Begin Geek Code Block ---------
GCS/CM/IT/O(Beer) d+(--) s: a+ c+++(---) UABCHLS++++$ P+ L+++ E- W+++$ N++
O+ K++ W---- o- m+ v- ps+ pe y+ pgp+ t+ 5+(5) x+(x) r(-) tv- b+++ DI+ D---
G+ e++ h--- r+++ y+++++(Grandchildren)