[rescue] Saving RealAudio files to wav/mp3/etc?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 26 17:10:08 CST 2004

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 @ 12:44 -0600, nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com said:

> > Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > > Line out to line in? Of course, that results in D -> A, then A -> D conversions...
> > >

> > Which is nothing compared to the distortion introduced by lossy mp3
> > compression.
>
> "An audiophile is one who listens to the equipment not the music."
>
> A little distortion is not an issue especially when listening to music
> in a real-world environment.  My $0.02 worth.

A little yes.

Bad mp3's have more than a little distortion.

My current lame encoding eliminates most of it:

LAMEOPTS="--cwlimit 10 --lowpass 19.7 -V3 --vbr-new -q0 -b96 --scale 0.99"

For ogg encoding, I use this:

OGGENCOPTS="-m 64 -q 6 --advanced-encoder-option lowpass_frequency=10"

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]