[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Mar 26 10:14:53 CST 2004

 James writes ...
> > This is true, and i have considered this before.  But why then
> > are accounting systems some of the worst pieces of software known
> > to man?
[snip]

> Because many were written way back when by accountants and CPA's.
> Or at best
> they were written with lots of input from financial people. To
> make matters
> worse, most of the accounting packages available today are actually old
> packages with new window dressing. Just how old is PeachTree (on the low
> end) and MAS90? I can go back 18 years and point to those
> packages running.

I don't know Peachtree Software's current lineup, but their original stuff
pre-dates the introduction of the IBM PC.  In fact, IBM paid them to port
the stuff to the PC so there would be software for the thing when it came
out.  In 1980, "accounting" was perceived as the reason businesspeople
bought computers, and IBM really didn't see any other market for the 25,000
PCs their marketing plan called for.

-Shel