[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 26 00:48:05 CST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 1:45 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>>    Yes and no.  The basic *design* of Windows is fraught with flaws
>> and
>> security issues.  Is it even possible to write a secure piece of
>> software for that platform?
>
> That's not entirely true of NT.  However, all that went to hell when
> they started opening up the kernel-space to various parts of the GUI
> for
> the sake of speed for the gamers.

   Well, this just illustrates my point.  NT might have been a good OS
at one point, maybe pre-3.51.  But how prevalent was NT in the pre-3.51
days?  Not all that prevalent.  Indeed, I worked in Suitville (a.k.a.
Digex) and even there...where the suits would CLAMOR to get ahold of
Gates' shrimpy tube steak...the first NT machines were 3.51.

> If you can dig up some docs about how NT was -supposed- to be, you'd be
> impressed that such a system could come out of Redmond:
... [list of extremely cool stuff snipped]

   That's because it came from the primary designer of VMS, a guy who
*knows* how to write operating systems.  It's obvious that they didn't
listen to him for very long.

   So basically, they had a good chance, and they BLEW IT.  And now
we're stuck cleaning up the fucking mess.  Morons.

         -Dave