[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Mar 25 23:50:55 CST 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Michael Schiller wrote:

> There's more to it. back in the olden days (back before some of you
> were born!) computers were sold to many small businesses primarily as
> accounting systems, so lots of accountants became familiar with
> computers (either because they wanted to, or were forced to by work,
> etc), so it became natural that accountants would be looked to for
> computer advice when you're buying a computer to keep your books on. I
> remember looking into accounting packages, those were the good old
> days! :)

My girlfriend is an accountant.  She says that she used to be the quasi
sysadmin at many places she has been.  In reference to the MS stuff,
she says that it was like that at her old place of work which sold
parts of ATM machines.  NCR used to call them up and ask them how their
own  older equipment worked because the churn had gotten rid of people
who knew at NCR.  She says that a lot of people look to accountants in
IT because in purchasing and perhaps in hiring too, they will be
involved at some point.

Andrew