[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 25 21:54:43 CST 2004

> From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
> Date: 2004/03/26 Fri AM 01:43:04 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] FrameMaker FYI

>    I am reminded of the famous story of Edison working
> on his light bulbs.  He walked up to his young college-boy
> assistant, handed him a freshly-blown glass bulb, and
> asked him to get the volume of the bulb.
> The kid sat there ALL AFTERNOON executing complex
> calculations of the sphere, the taper toward the stem,
> the stem itself...generating pages of calculations.  At
> the end of the day, Edison grabbed the bulb from
> him in frustration, filled it with water, dumped the
> water into a graduated cylinder, and voila...there's
> the volume, in ten seconds flat.

I had a Physics teacher in HS (He was greek, and, according to him, the Greek invented almost everything ;^), and he loved to show us neat tricks, like finding the area under a curve - draw it on graph paper, then cut it out and weigh it (with a very accurate scale!), then, cut a known quantity, say 4 or 16 squares from the same graph paper - by comparing the known to the unknown, and the two weights, the area under the curve can be found - without Calculus...