[rescue] Crashing Microsoft

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Mar 25 15:46:40 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:56:21PM -0500, Samuel Kopel wrote:
> On a historical note: Flight Simulator and Turbo Pascal were the first
> pieces of software I owned. About a year later my family got our first IBM
> PC.

I miss the Turbo Pascal IDE.  I wish I could find something similar (character-
based, non-GUI) that would use VI as an editor and let me work on Perl, etc.

vim and its syntax highlighting is as close as I've found.

I remember my Pascal instructor walking up behind me in college.  "Bradford,
you type too goddamn fast."

Bunch of 486-20s (yes, 20s).  Dell desktop machines with a LCD that showed
you what track the floppy drive was on.. anybody else remember those?  The
fileserver was a VAX 4700 running VMS 5.5-2 and then OpenVMS, using Pathworks
and LAT so the PCs could act like VT100s.

Then, we got the first batches of Gateway P75s and P90s in...

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net