[rescue] U1 or U2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 25 09:29:42 CST 2004

> From: Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com>
> Date: 2004/03/25 Thu PM 02:38:47 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] U1 or U2
>
> Will an Ultra 1 or an Ultra 2 run Solaris 9 "effectively" as a
> workstation or would i need to bump up to a U30 or U60?

Well, define effective? ;^)

Sorry - significant differences between models below:

Ultra 1 - fixed, uniprocessor, top CPU speed 200 MHz, 8 DIMMs, 2x SCA drive
slots (one accomodates 1.6" high drives), single SCSI chain, single UPA slot,
SBUS

Ultra 30 - 250 or 300 MHz CPU, 16 DIMM slots, 2x SCA drive slots (both
accomodate 1.6" high drives), single SCSI chain, dual "vertical" UPA slots,
PCI

Ultra 2 - dual processor capable (170, 200, 250, 300 or 400 MHz), 16 DIMMs, 2x
SCA slots (1" tall drives only), single SCSI chain, single UPA slot, PCI

Ultra 60 - dual processor capable (300 or 450 MHz), 16 DIMMs, 2x SCA slots
(both accomodate 1.6" high drives), DUAL SCSI chain, dual "vertical" UPA
slots, PCI

> I'm concerned with basic tasks such as GUI (Sylpheed)
> email, browsing (Mozilla) and OpenOfiice?

Sounds like graphics are important, and raw CPU speed is important too...

With Graphics being a concern, I'd suggest either a U30 or U60, based mainly
on the affordable "vertical" UPA framebuffers like the sub-$20 Elite 3d-m3s on
ebay (no 256 color limitation, fast speed, etc.)...

> I've got an dual SM81 SS20.  It ran 2.6 just fine but Sol9
> requires zen like patience (and understandably so.)  I'm looking
> for a workstation that i can use at work to learn Solaris on and
> i'd like to start with the most recent version.

I'd suggest getting a U30 if you can find a good one (incl. CD, lots of RAM,
300 MHz CPU, and a nice framebuffer). The U60 is great (I have a couple ;^),
but the cost is a bit high for a nice learning config relative to the U30.

A dual CPU U2 is a very capable machine, but the graphics options limit their
appeal as a mainstream desktop - they are great backroom servers, IMHO.

Of course, there are other options - if you have a decent spare parts bin,
there are nice "Cycle Quad 4" system bases on ebay for $75 that can take up to
4 CPUs, have dual SCSI chains, and I think are PCI-based... Not sure about UPA
slots though...

HTH,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net