Wordstar (was [rescue] FrameMaker_

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Mar 24 14:21:50 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:25:01PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Do you have those functions byte-compiled?  That speeds up loads
> considerably.

Yes, they are byte compiled.  The packages I use are the stuff from the
people who put out eieio (now included in emacs), and also a package
called ecb.

>   And further, if these are things you use a lot, you can recompile
> emacs with those functions built into the binary...there's a file in
> the source code that allows you to add stuff that gets loaded into the
> image before it's dumped.  That will add very, very little time to your
> startup.  It really makes a huge difference.

I'll have to look into that when I have some significant free time.  For
now I deal with it by not frequently restarting emacs.

> >I hate moving my hands all over too, but I have to keep reaching over
> >and hitting the reset button every few minutes anyway.
>
>   Hmm...that's either on your embedded target board, or on a Windows
> box. ;)

Err, yes.  That's the pair of boards next to me.  I can use Ctrl-C to
kill the program, but doing so doesn't actually take me back to the boot
loader.