[rescue] FrameMaker

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Mar 23 16:40:04 CST 2004

N. Miller says ...

> (another example: I still have all the 5.25" floppies from my early
> writing
> career that have Wordstar documents on them--how the heck am I going
> to get them into a modern word processor without a lot of work?  Hell, I
> think I even have CPM Wordstar data disks.  That oughta be
> interesting...)

Wordstar files are pretty easy to salvage.  The text is in there as text
(albeit with some high bits set) and most of the formatting commands are
easy to figure out.

Long ago and far away, I had a suite of wordprocessing file converters I
wrote (in Crosstalk Mark 4's script language) that handled various Wordstar
variants ... but I can't remember what they got converted _to_!  In any
case, the company have files in every version of Wordstar known to man, and
we wanted to convery them all to whatever-it-was, so I wrote the programs.

Another program in the suite took formatted comments and macros in our
assembly-language source and made page skeletons for each command in our new
doco format ... whatever it was.

-Shel