[rescue] FrameMaker

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 22 08:29:01 CST 2004

> From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> Date: 2004/03/22 Mon PM 01:39:19 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] FrameMaker

> Why would nroff/troff make it take longer to show up
> in a CD version? Wouldn't that be a natural format to
> use for easy conversion?  I must admit, I've never
> used either program, but I was under the impression
> that they were very open.

Well, my thought would be the following:

O'Reilly has very particular requirements for their authors w/r/t properly
"marking" their text (see previous citation on ORA website), and MS Word and
FrameMaker support that marking (or "tagging"), while nroff/troff are PAGE
LAYOUT programs. All directives in nroff/troff (based on my minimal exp. with
them) relate to presentation, not content.

O'Reilly wants to index and link to the text in ways that require certain tags
to be useful, nroff/troff don't have that info, so someone would have to add
it after the fact.

Anyway, that is my thought...

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net