[rescue] RESCUE: misc DEC stuff, some questions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 21 11:45:01 CST 2004

Sat, 20 Mar 2004 @ 21:07 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 said:

> It is sometimes called a corona wire.

Yeah... this laser doesn't have them.  It uses a metal-wrapped part to
charge.

Turns out the problem was something entirely different.  More below.

> > What I see is two rollers.  One is solid and floats on top of a larger
> > one.  The larger one is hollow, with a long light inside of it, very
> > hot, like a 12 inch lightbulb.
>
> Avoid getting direct sunlight on the (usually) green part of those
> rollers, BTW.

That should be easy, since there isn't any green... :)

Both are a nice shade of red.

Quartz tube lamp in the fuser roller is fine.

> if it is the same engine, check Apple's sites or a Mac fan site on how
> to clean it, maybe.

Probably.

The problem was dirty optics.  The lens that seperates the toner
compartment from the laser compartment, in front of the periscope
mirror, was just dirty.

I removed it and printed some pages, and they are perfect: uniform
blacks, very sharp.  Even the non-faded parts are better.

The only negative is that I broke the damned thing.

It is a piece of glass, around 8" by 1/4" by 3/16".  A little
rectangular window where the laser beam comes from the periscope mirror
to hit the drum.

Without that, the laser compartment will get dust and toner in it.

So... I need to find someone around here who can cut glass that thin.

Once that part is replaced, I have a very good PostScript laser printer
for free.

I bet a lot of these things get dumped because of dirty optics.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]