[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Mar 20 11:32:28 CST 2004

On Mar 20, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>   The difference, of course, is that the Pr1me machine will probably
>> run for another 5-10 years without a burp.  You don't need "parts" for
>> a machine that isn't broken.
>
> But, when it is broken, you need to know how to get it fixed fast.  If
> fixing it will mean replacing it with new software on a Sun, the time
> figure this out is not while you are unable to bill because your prime
> went down, but rather before that event.

   I'm not suggesting that the machines don't require maintenance...I'm
pointing out that real computers typically don't have the failure rates
of commodity PCs.  Just like disaster planning, repair planning is a
must...but if there's one guy four states away who charges $400/hr to
perform hardware repairs on a Pr1me, that's probably still ok, because
you'll likely never need to call him.

> I think computers can be reliable, but you need to have a plan in place
> for the 1 time they turn out not to be.

   Agreed 100%.

       -Dave