[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Mar 19 22:50:52 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:45:10PM -0500, Jeff Cole wrote:
> > >It will certainly improve the mood of your electric company...
> >   Percentage-wise, it won't be that much of an increase. ;)
>
> Do you produce any of your own electricity? My in-laws in San Diego have
> a couple solar panels on top of their house, and it offsets their
> electric bills by a few dollars here and there, and I think PG&E gives
> them some sort of credit for it as well.

In CA, if you produce any power of your own, the power company is
required by law to purchase your excess generation from you.

The catch is, they only have to pay you their wholesale generation cost,
rather than what they actually charge you retail.  So if your daytime
solar surplus production exactly balanced your nighttime consumption and
your NET consumption of grid power was exactly zero, you'd still end up
owing PG&E wads of money.  Nice little racket....

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :