[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Fri Mar 19 21:25:07 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2004, at 10:42 PM, James wrote:
> >> And, if they want to decomm them, send them my way.  There's way too
> >> many classic things in Florida and California, and not enough in
> >> Indiana. : )
> >
> > There's plenty in Indiana, it's just that they are still in use ;-)
> >
> > Many parts of the country refuse to throw away machines that still
> > satisfactorily fill a function.
>
>    WHAT A CONCEPT!!!       [head explodes]

Sometimes it just comes down to how much space you have.

Places with a lot of money, a lot of tech, but not much storage space have
to clean closets quicker than places where storage is cheap. So crowded
techies rich cities like sf, boston, nyc, london will have more stuff on
the curb. But having lived in the first three, I can say that nothing
beats Boston.

Here, the best time and place to go trash picking is Beacon
Hill, and on the first trash day after the first of september. This is a
University town (THE University town) and therefore most leases start/end
on the school year (even for non-students). MIT is good because of the two
factors, but the campus police are complete jerks so you have to be
careful and have an MIT student to vouch for you.