[rescue] Part Numbers (was: New subscriber...)

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Mar 19 12:52:35 CST 2004

On 2004-03-19 13:40:39 -0500 Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
wrote:

>   Really...how difficult is it to do a Google search for "sun
> 501-1234"?

<mode:difficult_bastard>
Well, if the part name you are looking for is for your network card so
you can get on the network...

This has actually happened to me.  I was at a client's location
replacing a hosed NIC with one from his spare parts bin.  Bin A was
full of various parts. Bin B is full of driver disks.  Problem is that
the card we find to do what we need in bin A only has a serial number
on it.  We KNOW the right driver is on one of the disks in bin B (this
man never throws away ANYTHING), but we have no idea which one.  So I
basically had to try installing drivers from every disk in bin B that
looked like it might be NIC related until one actually does something
useful.

</mode>

Caleb