[rescue] Suggestions for vendor of external 5" FireWire case

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Mar 19 10:26:39 CST 2004

William Enestvedt wrote:

> Nadine suggested:
>
>>I also had a 3.5" portable case from Other World Computing
>>(<http://www.macsales.com/>).
>>I like OWC's stuff, and they have good customer service.
>>

>    Yeah, I've bought from OWC before, for years. In fact, I recommend
> them to others all the time.
>    But in the past, I always used $employer's money, and now I'm working
> on the cheap since our third baby is due in June. (Exciting, yes, but
> not cheap!) Since I'll be plugging this into a 600 MHZ G3 iMac, and only
> writing data DVDs (since I believe that the li'l G3 can't perform well
> enough to encode video for DVDS [or am I wrong here?]), I had planned to
> buy a cheaper, 911-chipped case. Then again, I have AppleCare on this
> computer for another year or two, so maybe I ought to go whole-hog. :7)
>    I imagine that any generic, external FireWire case is using the
> Oxford 911 chip these days. Is it really that important? I mean, it's
> not like there's a cable incompatibility, right?

My point in suggesting getting the FW800 was that which will you
use longer, the drive case or the drive?  The DVD burner will probably
become obsolete before the drive case will.

As for mentioning Oxford bridges, the "cheap" cases often don't list
the bridge manufacturer.  I doubt there would be a cable incom-
patibility, but at least under OS 9, some non-Oxford bridges
required third party drivers.  I prefer to use something supported
by the OS directly.

YMMV, these are just my preferences/biases/opinions.

=Nadine=