[rescue] IRIX: SpaceMouse, SpaceBall, Tablet & Co.

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Mar 18 17:58:16 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:11:22PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> I didn't find any infos on the 2003.

It has long been discontinued, I think.  There is documentation of the
protocol floating about the net somewhere for it and the 3003.

> That IBM thing is quite old. (introduced in 1993) Here is an ePay
> auction with one:
> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2793178099
> (Link in the auction text to more information.)

I'm at home now on dialup.  I may look at that tomorrow.  Based on the
report of being 1993ish, I'd guess 2003.  Look for spaceball 2003 on
ebay and compare the pictures.

> > As the name of the site indicates, it is about wacom tablets.  Don't
> > bother trying to use any other sort of tablet.
> Well. It is for playing only. I don't intend to really use it. The
> calcomp tablets seem to be much cheaper. (No buzzword brand name...)

Yes, the calcomps are much cheaper, but considering the cost of used 4x5
Wacoms, and 6x8 wacoms, I wouldn't want to bother trying to figure out
how in the world to make the calcomp work.  Maybe it is easier than I
suspect though.

> > I don't know what to recommend for the space ball off the top of my
> > head.  Perhaps VTK would support them?  Perhaps you have a copy of
> > Iris Explorer, and perhaps it supports them?  I don't know.

> I think I will dig into this when I have a SpaceBall that works with the
> confidence tests.

OK.  I'm interested in hearing if you have Iris Explorer anyway.  I'm
led to believe that it was at one time bundled.