[rescue] IRIX: SpaceMouse, SpaceBall, Tablet & Co.

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 18 12:56:30 CST 2004

Hi.

I am preparing an exhibition at the Vintage Computer Festival Europa.[0]
I will show some classic SGIs like PI 4D35 and an Indigo2. This years
VCFe special focus is:
User Interfaces: From Keypunch to Mouse.

I have an old SGI dial box and will get a button box soon. It would be
nice to get a tablet and a SpaceMouse / SpaceBall to. But input(7) is
not very helpful about the particular models that are supported. Google
was not very helpfull either.

There are lots of Wacom tablets on epay and a web site [1] gives some
hints on Wacom tablets. But "not an Intuos or Graphire" isn't very
enlightening. What about Calcomp? Any particular knowen to work models?

It seems there are a lot of SpaceMouse / SpaceBall devices out there.
The original Logitech run quite high in price. (I saw one going for
about 180,-EUR =:-O ) An IBM SpaceBall 6094 went for about 23,-EUR, but
is it supported by IRIX? Again: Any particular knowen to work models?

What software can make use of this devices? It would be nice to use the
tablet as mouse replacement. Visitors will be able to use the SpaceMouse
/ SpaceBall to get the "feel" of this device. So somthing simple like
powerflip would be sufficient.

[0] http://www.vcfe.org/
[1] http://www.rootprompt.de/wacom_irix/
--