[rescue] Notify about your e-mail account utilization.

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Mar 17 11:34:39 CST 2004

>And this list only allows email from list members, right?

>The only way a virus email can get on the list is by "pretending" to come
from a valid list member and it has to "discover" the list email address,
right?

The method by which the list determines "membership" is the originating
email address in the client program (or virus) settings.

Not IP address or domain name.  I can put snagglefratz at nowheresville.org in
the settings and the mail servers and list servers will happily propagate
that, will he or nill he, with every message I send.

The virus just has to have found the list server name.  There is no telling
how many bazillion messages bounced from non-member addresses before the
address of a valid member matched the mailing list subscriber list.

Wes Will
SysAdmin,
FarReaches.Org/S-Gabriel.Org/Bright-Star-Studios.Com/Randoms.Org

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the
ungrateful.  We have done so much with so little for so long that we are
now qualified to do anything with absolutely nothing."  -- Anonymous,
probably a US Marine in Viet Nam, ca. 1962